If you’re on the search for the coveted Hello Fresh Tex Mex paste recipe, then you’ve come to the right place. Tex Mex paste, created by the renowned food subscription service, Hello Fresh, is a versatile sauce or marinade that adds both savory and sweet flavors to your dishes. Whether it’s chicken, ground beef, or pork, Tex Mex paste is the perfect all-rounder that will leave you craving for more.
What is Tex Mex paste?
Tex Mex paste is a delightful combination of pureed tomatoes, onions, and chilies, blended with a six-spice mix and herbs that will tantalize your taste buds. With a consistency similar to BBQ sauce, this paste pairs perfectly with Tex-Mex and Mexican dishes. Interestingly, it was initially created in Texas but has gained popularity in Mexican cuisine as well, making it a favorite among home chefs in search of the best Tex Mex paste recipe.
What is Tex Mex paste made of?
To create the perfect Tex Mex paste, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Fire-roasted tomatoes: These add a sweet yet smoky flavor to the paste. You can use canned fire-roasted tomatoes or roast your own over an open flame.
- Chipotle peppers: These smoked jalapenos, available in jars, bring a unique smoky flavor to the paste.
- White onions: An essential element for adding depth of flavor to sauces and pastes.
- Roasted garlic: Roasted garlic adds a nutty element and mellows out the flavor.
- Rice vinegar: This ingredient adds the perfect amount of acidity to balance the flavors.
- Tomato paste: Tomato paste is the main component of this spicy sauce, providing both flavor and thickness. Ketchup can be used as a substitute if tomato paste is not available.
- Garlic chili paste: Garlic chili paste adds texture and depth of flavor to the paste.
- Sugar: Despite its spicy and smoky profile, Tex Mex paste has a hint of sweetness thanks to sugar. Coconut sugar can be used as a healthier alternative.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder adds a touch of chocolatey flavor and enhances the visual appeal of the paste.
- Ground coriander: Coriander adds a citrusy freshness to the paste, though it can be omitted if not preferred.
- Dried oregano: Dried oregano adds a hint of spiciness and bitterness with sour undertones.
- Chili powder: Chili powder is generously used in the paste to bring the heat. Adjust the amount according to your spice tolerance.
- Paprika: Paprika adds a sweet and peppery taste, enhancing the depth and volume of the paste.
- Cumin: Cumin, a staple in Mexican and Tex-Mex dishes, adds a nutty flavor that complements the peppers and spices.
- Garlic powder: More garlic, please! Garlic powder adds a strong punch of flavor to the paste.
- Salt: Salt brings all the flavors together, providing the finishing touch.
How to make Tex Mex Paste Recipe
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, follow these instructions to create your own Tex Mex paste:
- Start by roasting your garlic. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the top of the garlic head, exposing the cloves. Drizzle olive oil on top, wrap the garlic in tin foil, and bake for 30-40 minutes until the cloves are easily squeezed out.
- In a bowl, create the spice blend by combining the ground coriander, dried oregano, chili powder, paprika, ground cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Mix them thoroughly.
- Use a food processor to puree the onions and roasted garlic.
- Add the tomato paste, chipotle peppers, and fire-roasted tomatoes to the pureed onion and garlic in the food processor. Blend the mixture well.
- Transfer the mixture to a small pot or saucepan. Add the spice blend, rice vinegar, garlic chili paste, sugar, and cocoa powder to the pot.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and bring it to a simmer over medium heat for 16 minutes.
- Remove the paste from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, use an immersion blender to achieve a smoother consistency.
- As the paste cools, it will thicken. Now it’s ready to be enjoyed!
How to Use Tex Mex Paste
Tex Mex paste is perfect for enhancing the flavors of Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisine. Add a kick of smokiness to dishes like enchiladas, tacos, and burritos. For example, instead of using regular seasoning in your Chipotle Fajita Veggies, substitute it with Tex Mex paste for a delightful smoky twist. Tex Mex paste also works well in Mexican stews, soups, and as a sauce for rice dishes.
Tex Mex Paste FAQs
What is Tex-Mex Paste?
Tex-Mex paste is a concentrated blend of spices and seasonings used in Tex-Mex cuisine. It combines tomatoes, chili peppers, cumin, paprika, and garlic to add a robust, smoky, and mildly spicy kick to various dishes.
How spicy is Tex Mex paste?
Tex Mex paste is considered quite spicy for the average palate. Adjust the amount of chili powder to your spice preference. You can also add more tomato paste to make it less spicy.
How do I store Tex Mex paste?
Store your Tex Mex paste in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Glass jars or Tupperware containers are recommended.
How long will Tex Mex paste last?
Homemade Tex Mex paste can last up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator when stored in an airtight container. To extend its shelf life, you can freeze the paste for up to 6 months in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic bags.
What is a good substitute for Tex-Mex paste?
Some alternatives include taco seasoning, chili powder blend, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, and enchilada sauce. Each option can provide similar flavors depending on your preferences and the dish you’re preparing.
Does Hello Fresh sell Tex-Mex paste?
Hello Fresh does not sell Tex Mex paste as a standalone product. However, it may be included as an ingredient in some of their meal kits. Check their current menu and meal options to see if Tex-Mex paste is available.
Leave your questions or suggestions about this Tex Mex paste recipe in the comments below. And be sure to explore our list of top celebrity recipes for more culinary inspiration. Happy cooking!