The model number of your Dell laptop is crucial in obtaining specific support and compatibility information. Whether you’re facing driver issues or looking for compatible parts, knowing your laptop’s model number is essential. Luckily, there are various methods available to determine the model of your Dell laptop.
Finding Your Dell Laptop’s Model Number
There are several ways to find the exact model of your Dell laptop, and here are the main ones.
Method #1: Find the Identification Label To Locate Model Number
Check the product labels located on the cardboard packaging or laptop body to find the model number of your Dell laptop. These labels are usually found in the following areas:
- Battery compartment.
- Base, bottom cover, or back of the laptop.
- Palm rest, keyboard trim, or screen.
The identification label also contains other important details such as certification logos, power requirements, and the manufacturer’s location. The model number is typically located next to the family name, such as Precision, XPS, Latitude, Inspiron, or Studio.
Method #2: Use Dell’s SupportAssist Application for Windows
If your Dell laptop runs on Windows OS, you can use the SupportAssist app to determine its model number. Follow these steps:
For Windows 10
- Go to the search box and type “SupportAssist.”
- Launch the SupportAssist app.
- The model number of your laptop will be displayed.
For Windows 8 (8.1)
- Move the cursor to the right-edge corner of the screen to reveal the Charms bar.
- Select “Search.”
- Enter “SupportAssist” in the search box.
- Click on the SupportAssist app to open it.
- The model number will be shown on the main screen of the application.
For Windows 7
- Click on the Start button located on the lower-left corner of your laptop’s screen.
- Press “Search Options” and type “SupportAssist.”
- Click on the SupportAssist app.
- The model number of your laptop will be displayed on the screen.
The SupportAssist app is a pre-installed Dell maintenance app. If it is not installed on your PC, you can download it from the Dell Support Website.
Method #3: Open the Windows System Information Window
The Windows System Information, also known as msinfo32, provides specific details about your PC. The summary menu of your laptop’s system information includes the operating system version, manufacturer, and model. Follow these steps to determine your Dell laptop’s model:
For Windows 10
- Go to the search box and type “System.”
- Choose the “System” option under “Setting.”
- Search for “Model” in this section.
For Windows 8 (8.1)
- Scroll and place the mouse pointer to the lower-right corner of your laptop’s screen.
- Move the cursor up and click on “Search.”
- Enter “msinfo32” in the search bar.
- Open the system information window by tapping on “msinfo32.”
- Go to “System” and check your laptop’s model.
For Windows 7 and Windows Vista
- Move the mouse pointer to the lower-left corner of your laptop’s screen and click on the Start menu.
- Click on the search box.
- Enter “system information” in the search bar and click on it once it appears in the search results.
- Your laptop’s model will be displayed in the “System” section.
For Windows XP
- Go to the bottom-left corner of your laptop’s screen and click on the Start menu.
- Right-click on “My Computer.”
- Tap on the “Properties” option.
- Your laptop’s model will appear in the “System” section.
Method #4: Assess Your Dell Laptop’s BIOS System
You can also find your Dell laptop’s model number by accessing the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System). The BIOS software checks if the hardware is functioning correctly when you turn on your laptop and allows Windows to start running. Follow these steps to check your laptop’s model number using BIOS:
- Switch on your laptop.
- Once you see the Dell logo, quickly press the F2 button to access the BIOS. If Windows starts, restart your laptop and try again.
- Navigate through the BIOS menu and find your laptop’s model in the “System Name” or menu title.
Knowing your Dell laptop’s model number is essential when purchasing accessories or seeking repairs. Fortunately, there are various approaches to determine the exact model of your laptop, as detailed in this guide. By using any of these methods, you can easily find out the model number of your Dell laptop and proceed with your specific needs.